I found this great, healthy recipe as posted on-line by Wendy Polisi, a mother of 3, and I want to share it with you. It is fantastic for summer parties. It’s also a great dish to have at home during the week. Either way, as leftovers, it will last a few days and nights, so after making it, over the next few days, you can bring it to work for lunch or have it again for dinner . My husband loves it, when first served, and again and again. Lastly, this recipe as a meal for you is healthy because Quinoa is a good source of protein and black beans are a good source of magnesium and fiber.
As presented to my husband
- Olive oil spray
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 poblano chili pepper seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn thawed
- 3 tablespoons butter OR olive oil
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat OR gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk OR milk of choice
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack Cheese
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups black beans about 1 can
- For serving: Pico De Gallo Salsa, Avocado, Sour Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large baking pan with olive oil.
- Spray a large skilled with olive oil and heat to medium. Add onion, poblano pepper and red pepper and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until tender. Add corn and cook for 4 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter or heat olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add flour, chili powder, paprika, cumin, chipotle chili powder and salt. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add in milk and cook, stirring often, until thick. Add cheese and cook until melted.
- Place quinoa and black beans in a large bowl. Add vegetable mixture and toss. Add cheese mixture and stir until well combined. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Serve with salsa, avocado or sour cream if desired.
Calories: 361kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 561mg | Potassium: 470mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 20% | Vitamin C: 42.4% | Calcium: 30.8% | Iron: 15%
As a Casserole
Here is to you loving yourself by eating healthfully.
Wellness Coach Dawn